Travis Johnson is an active duty officer in the United States navy and the host of the Nonprofit Architect Podcast. Today, Travis shares about moving dozens of times as a child because of his mom’s mental illness. He also shares how he felt the Lord’s presence, got out of the abusive situation, and found stability in the Navy. Travis has found a way to give back by enabling and supporting nonprofit organizations through podcasting and his own service. Travis’s story reminds us that the Lord can use our background no matter how difficult.
Listen to Travis’s story now!
Stories Travis shared:
- Starting his podcast Nonprofit Architect
- Growing up with a mother with bipolar disorder needing to move often
- Taking control of his family at 9 years old
- Going to Bible camp one summer
- Experiencing a supernatural happening before moving out
- Joining the Navy to get a stable life
- Finding a church in Oklahoma City that showed him what church should look like
- The group who helped him understand the Christian life
- Realizing people in Bahrain were just like him
- How podcasting has changed his life
Great quotes from Travis:
No amount of shared DNA gives someone permission to treat you a certain way.
I just showed up with a good attitude and willing to help.
Everywhere you go, it’s just people.
Resources we mentioned: