Stories Tom shared:
- Growing up in Nepal as the son of American doctors at a village hospital
- When his mom dropped him off at boarding school
- Finding his niche in high school
- Sharing conversation with friends from different backgrounds
- How the Navigators helped him grow in faith
- A time in the Navy
- Eventually moving to the former Soviet Union
- Problems with labels: when the way people describe you isn’t how you think of yourself
Great quotes from Tom:
Sometimes when we say something is spiritually dark, what we’re reflecting is modernity vs. premodernity.
It is possible to come up with a life mission that you can share with anyone.
Resources we mentioned:
- Authentic Lives: Overcoming the Problem of Hidden Identity in Outreach to Restrictive Nations by Thomas Hale III
- Transcending Mission: The Eclipse of a Modern Tradition by Michael W. Stroope