Skye Jethani is an author, speaker, consultant, and ordained minister. He also serves as the co-host of the popular Holy Post Podcast, a weekly show that blends astute cultural and theological insights with comical conversation. Today, Skye shares how growing up in a religiously mixed home shaped him, deciding to follow Christ against his father’s wishes, and why it’s surprising he has written so many books. Skye also discusses his works including his book With, and his latest What if Jesus was Serious? Skye’s story proves that no matter what our plans are, the Lord will lead us where he will for our good.
Listen to Skye’s story today!
Stories Skye shared:
- Living in the shadow of Wheaton College
- Growing up in a religiously mixed family
- Losing a younger brother when he was in second grade and how that affected his family
- Navigating different cultures
- Traveling a lot as a kid and how that influenced him
- The man who gave him a word from the Lord near Nashville
- Deciding to follow Christ regardless of his dad’s approval
- The moment that set the course for his college experience
- His undergrad mentor who was a bit of a mystic
- Arguing with his father over going to seminary
- Exploring many traditions of Christianity
- The difference between historic Evangelicalism and fundamentalism
- Experiencing a dark night in 2005 when he learned perseverance
- The discipline of worship
- How he started writing and where that led him
- Writing his book With
- How culture is changing and what the Church can do to engage
- Why he started doodling and how that turned into What if Jesus was Seri0us?
Great quotes from Skye:
I did not like the subculture I thought I had to buy into in order to follow Jesus.
I benefited from a broad exposure to Christian traditions.
Anybody who has benefited from anything I’ve done in ministry or book I’ve written—or anything else—you can thank an atheist.
Resources we mentioned:
- Skye’s website where you can sign up for With God Daily
- With: Reimagining the Way You Relate to God by Skye Jethani
- What If Jesus Was Serious?: A Visual Guide to the Teachings of Jesus We Love to Ignore by Skye Jethani
- The Case Against Sermon-Centric Sundays in Premier Christianity
- The episode of the Holy Post about the differences between evangelicalism and fundamentalism