- Growing up in a Methodist home in Chicagoland
- Hearing the Holy Spirit for the first time at Promise Keepers in 1996 and receiving Christ with his dad
- Being baby Christians with his whole family
- Building community in college and how that shaped him
- Studying broadcast communication
- Working in Chicago television
- Moving to a megachurch in the area to use his gifts
- How his disillusionment caused him to grow
- The vacation where God asked him to plant a church
- Going to seminary to become a pastor
- How God sparked conversations about church planting
- Planting a church in the middle of megachurches falling
- The unexpected response to his vulnerability
Great quotes from Matt:
You can be doing something of value for the Kingdom of God even outside the church.
God is a God on mission.
We’ve been more consumed with getting people to believe the right things; that’s just tribalism at its best. Or its worst.
Resources we mentioned:
- Ephesiology’s the State of the Church in America episode
- Ephesiology: The Study of a Movement
- Matthew’s website
- Connect with Matt on Twitter