Mark Brownson is a pastor and author. Mark’s recently published book is Honesty, A Believer’s Struggle with Prayer and Faith. Today, Mark shares his struggle to teach himself to read, achieving his dream to go to seminary, and his experience pastoring churches. Through it all, Mark has wrestled with God in prayer with an honesty seldom found among God’s people. Mark’s story reminds us that the Christian life is one of being with God even when it’s not easy.
Listen to Mark’s story now!
Stories Mark shared:
- Teaching himself to read in seventh grade
- Finding faith in Jesus while being disciplined by his mom
- Discipleship on the couch listening to Christian radio
- Going to college at Azusa Pacific with his dyslexia
- Helping out with a church plant and feeling a call to ministry
- How a comparative religion class shaped him
- Going back to Montana State and teaching for awhile
- Deciding to go to seminary
- How seminary shaped him
- Pastoring churches in Ohio and Pennsylvania
- Meeting his wife as God’s provision
- His wife’s bipolar breakdown on their honeymoon
- Learning to share the Gospel as a “weak thing”
- How he serves his community
Great quotes from Mark:
The Christian life is certainly no bed of roses, at least it hasn’t been for me.
God and I frequently have arguments. He always wins.
My relationship with God is one of honesty.
Faith is akin to dependence.
Resources we mentioned:
- Connect with Mark
- Honesty: A Believer’s Struggle with Prayer and Faith by Mark Brownson