Lisa Woolery is a mom, author, and widow. Today, Lisa shares how her life changed when her husband died and the spiritual journey she took as a widow. She tells us the story of finding faith as a teenager, meeting her husband in high school, putting her faith on hiatus and living the “good life,” and how adopting children changed all that. Then, Lisa relays how the Lord was with her through the valley of the shadow of death even when she was mad at him. It took small steps of faith and courage to find herself and her faith again. Lisa’s story reminds us that the Lord cares about the widow and so should we.
Listen to Lisa’s story in your favorite podcast app now!
Stories Lisa shared:
- Growing up in a Christian family in Southern California
- The moment in 4th grade when she gave her life to Christ
- The mentor who helped her learn to read the Bible and pray
- Meeting her husband at youth group for the first time
- Becoming a teacher at a Lutheran school and struggling
- Leaving church and going into public relations
- How her faith went on hiatus for a season
- Waiting for children and praying for them
- Adopting children and the weird things people say
- How the Lord feels about us as his kids
- How marriage changed and got harder after adopting children
- Deciding to grow together and do things that enhanced their faith
- Moving to get stress out of their lives
- How her husband passed away and how it changed her life
- Taking care of her kids and the experience of grief
- A season of being mad at God
- Realizing that she could walk through the valley of the shadow of death
- Learning how to be her own person
- What she’s learned about herself through this process
Great quotes from Lisa:
I’ve never had a problem trusting God.
I decided not to do the why and to do the acceptance instead.
I realized that my acceptance was actually submission.
Resources we mentioned: