Lisa Appelo is a speaker and author including her latest book Life Can Be Good Again: Putting Your World Back Together After It All Falls Apart. Today, Lisa shares how she found faith while growing up in Florida, learning to trust through a financial crisis, and how she called on that trust when her husband died suddenly. She had to learn how to parent as a single mom while dealing with grief and eventually the Lord led her back to writing. Lisa’s story reminds us that the Lord’s mercy isn’t always what we want but is always what we need.
Listen to Lisa’s story in your favorite podcast app now!
Stories Lisa shared:
- Being a homeschooling mom of seven
- Growing up in Florida in a church going family
- Struggling with trusting the Bible and being directed to Jesus by a professor
- Going to Youth Camp and rededicating her life at camp
- Meeting her husband at church in high school and how their faith grew together
- Reading the Gospel of John and deciding she would believe
- Trusting God through a financial crisis and how God came through
- Her husband’s death and how it affected her
- Sensing God’s presence and people’s prayers as she picked up the pieces
- Learning to parent as a single mom
- How 2 Corinthians 10:5 helped her and how she fought the lies of fear
- Learning how self-control had become an idol
- Deciding to write instead of return to law
- Why she wrote Life Can Be Good Again
Great quotes from Lisa:
Lord, do not let this be a mountain top. I want this to be real.
I saw God in ways I never would have otherwise.
When we step out in faith, he never calls us into a deal; he calls us to himself.
Resources we mentioned:
- Lisa’s website
- Life Can Be Good Again: Putting Your World Back Together After It All Falls Apart by Lisa Appelo
- Countdown to Christmas: Unwrap the Christmas Story with Your Family in 15 Days by Lisa Appelo