Keith Giles is an author and previous guest on Halfway There. Today, Keith stops by to discuss his latest book, Jesus Unbound. We talk about some of the problems with an overemphasis on the Bible and how it may be keeping you from the kind of relationship with God he desires for you. Keith will challenge your ideas, make you think, and lead you closer to God’s heart as a result.
If you want to hear the entire conversation, become a Patreon supporter at just $5 per month.
Our conversation covers:
- Why he wrote Jesus Unbound: Liberating the Word of God from the Bible
- Why we doubt our experiences and what God’s intention is for us
- The heart of the New Covenant and how it applies to us today
- Why we’re not disparaging the Bible
- The problems with how we have been trained to approach Scripture
- How to interpret “All Scripture is God-breathed…” in 2 Timothy 3:16
- How translation into English is interpretation
- The difference between Jesus and the Bible
- The relationship from which we read Scripture
Great quotes from Keith:
We are so stuck on what God was doing 2000 years or more ago that we are incapable of taking a step back and seeing what he might be saying and doing in our lives today.
One of the things we’re putting between us and God for this little safety net is the Bible.
As much as I love the Bible, I love Jesus a million times more.
Your picture of God needs to be Christ-shaped.
I don’t want a more biblical world; I want a more Christlike world.
Resources we mentioned:
- Jesus Unbound: Liberating the Word of God from the Bible
- Jesus Untangled: Crucifying Our Politics to Pledge Allegiance to the Lamb
- Jesus Unveiled: Forsaking Church as We Know It for Ekklesia as God Intended
- Keith’s website
- Bible Gateway
If you enjoyed the beginning of this conversation, you can hear the entire hour long conversation by becoming a supporter on Patreon. It simple, secure, and inexpensive. You can hear the whole conversation for as little as $5 per month and cancel at anytime.