Stories Jeff shared:
- Serving as an administrator at Western Theological Seminary
- Growing up in a Christian family and being discipled in a Young Life style
- His wife’s stroke one month before their wedding
- Losing touch with his emotion based on bad advice
- Discovering Frederick Buechner in a bookstore
- What he things of the person who gave him bad advice
- Finding peace with God through community
- Leaving Young Life during a difficult season
- Receiving a call to Western Theological Seminary
- How speaking at a workshop about Buechner and being asked to write this book
Great quotes from Jeff:
We go to books and we want lots of different things. But we want books that change our lives. That’s what Buechner did for me.
Pain is a universal human experience.
I spend the whole week figuring out the ways I don’t believe in God and then the community calls be back every week.
Resources we mentioned:
- Reading Buechner: Exploring the Work of a Master Memoirist, Novelist, Theologian, and Preacher by Jeff Monroe
- Western Theological Seminary
- The Clown in the Belfry: Writings on Faith and Fiction by Frederick Buechner