James Bryan Smith is a professor at Friends University in Wichita, Kansa and author, including his new book, The Good and Beautiful You. Today, James tells us how he found Christ, his amazing set of mentors, and the season when he forgot his first love. He also shares how God thinks about us and why it’s different that you may have been told. James’ story reminds us that no matter where you are on the journey, you’re loved by God deeply.
Listen to James’ story in your favorite podcast app now!
Stories James shared:
- His work at Friends University as a teacher
- Growing up in a Methodist church in Denver
- Giving his life to Christ before he went to college
- Being mentored by spiritual formation luminaries
- Having Rich Mullings in his attic for two years
- Learning the spiritual disciplines from Richard Foster
- Going to seminary and being ordained in the United Methodist Church
- Why he wrote this book
- How he realized that his soul had needs that weren’t being taken care of
- Why memorization of Scripture is valuable to him
Great quotes from James:
It goes a lot better if I think I’m quite marvelous.
Every need my soul has, Jesus provides.
I want to be at the point where I love God even if God doesn’t provide all my spiritual feelings.
God is crazy about you and loves you more than you can imagine.
Resources we mentioned:
- James’ website
- Things Above Podcast
- The Good and Beautiful You: Discovering the Person Jesus Created You to Be by James Bryan Smith