Heather Oncken is an entrepreneur, a nurse, and a fellow podcaster. Her show Connecting in the Chaos is about how to develop and maintain friendship as an adult. Today, Heather shares how her family came to Christ, why she walked away from Christ as a young woman, and how the Lord redeemed all the pain it caused. We also talk about why she started a podcast about friendships and some ideas for how to make friends and be a good one. Heather’s story reminds us that your intentional action matters in your relationships with God and others.
Listen to Heather’s story today!
Stories Heather shared:
- Heather’s heart for friendship
- Becoming a Christian family in sixth grade
- Deciding to reject Jesus for three years in her mid-20s
- Being rejected by her daughter’s father
- The moment of surrender during the pregnancy
- Deciding that God was enough for her
- The gratitude she has for her family
- The pain of her parent’s relational struggles and the anger that goes with it
- Learning to let go of needing to understand
- The simple gesture of a friend that changed her life
- How she started to listen to others
- The value of intention in relationships
Great quotes from Heather:
She saved me because she’s what brought me back to the Lord.
I think He is honored with our honesty.
The brokenness showed me how much I needed other people.
We think of friendships as a luxury but they are essential.
Resources we mentioned: