Harriett Miller is a strong woman who just so happens to be my grandmother. She was a little hesitant to come on the show and share her story but I’m so glad she did! Today, Grandma shares about growing up in Des Moines, Iowa, becoming a widow with five small boys, how that event led her to faith in Christ. The Lord has often spoken to her through Scripture and gave her a discernment gift that she had to learn to use well. These are stories I’ve heard bits of my entire life but today, we get to hear all the details. Grandma’s story reminds us that God uses even the hardest moments of our lives to draw us to himself.
Give Grandma’s story a listen!
Stories Grandma shared:
- Growing up in Des Moines, IA in a poor family
- Going to a Salvation Army church
- Graduating high school to spite her Jr. High teacher
- Meeting and marrying her husband Don and starting a family
- The medical issue she suffered while starting a family
- Losing her husband to cancer with 5 boys
- What the Lord spoke to her in the middle of the night
- The Scripture passage 1 John 2:20-27 (KJV) that taught her she has the gift of discernment
- How discernment works for her
- The moment when God spoke to her about breaking an engagement
- Meeting Bill Miller and marrying him
- How the Lord continues to use Scripture
- Wrestling with God through anger
Great quotes from Grandma:
I don’t think I would have ever come to know the Lord as my savior if he hadn’t gotten taken out of the way.
I was his from the beginning.
If the Lord’s in it, any program can work. But if he’s not, no program will work.