Cliff Haddox is a pastor and TikToker (@RevnGeek). Today, we talk about his TikTok, why he started it, and how the platform has influenced his ministry. Cliff also shares the dangerous prayer he prayed, why community is so great in seminary, and the struggle of being unwanted at his church. We also talk about ways to engage people online during Sunday services. Cliff’s story reminds us that God is always leading when we’re open to following him.
Listen to Cliff’s story now!
Stories Cliff shared:
- How Cliff got into TikTok
- Growing up in WV in a Christian family
- The pastor who mentored him through questions
- Going to college to be a broadcaster
- The invitation to a young adult group that solidified his faith
- The moment he gave God his life
- How quickly his life changed after praying to see if God had a different plan for his life
- Getting called into ministry
- Going to seminary in Louisville, KY
- How seminary challenged his assumptions
- The Christian community that he had in seminary
- How he left a church that wanted to leave the denomination
- The problem with prosperity gospel
- Learning to engage online during Covid
Great quotes from Cliff:
What I have is the assurance that I’ve always had it [salvation].
Faith formation is very different from the academic side of seminary. From the academic side, you have to be prepared to have a wrecking ball swung through everything that the little old ladies taught you in Sunday School.
Jonah is a story that grows up with you.
If you ever go to seminary, treasure the time you’re there because, if you’re lucky it will be the closest to Christian community like the Bible you’ll ever experience.
There is no time when God offers an Easy button.
Resources we mentioned: