Christy Boulware suffered a nervous breakdown caused by severe panic and anxiety disorder in 2011. Today, Christy shares the story of her first panic attack sitting on a beach when everything should have been fine. Then, the anxiety got worse and changed her life. Christy tells us bout her holistic approach to healing, the passages of Scripture that helped her, and the moment she understood God’s love for her for the first time. Plus, we discuss what you can do to redefine success and pay attention to your body and heart when you need to. Christy’s story reminds us that while we may have anxiety, fear does not equal a lack of faith and God is still with us.
Listen to Christy’s story in your favorite podcast app now!
Stories Christy shared:
- Growing up in Missouri in a Catholic family
- Getting into life as an achiever
- Having an anxiety attack on the beach
- Getting checked out for serious health issues and being diagnosed with anxiety
- The science behind stress and anxiety
- Experiencing back to back panic attacks for three weeks
- Contemplating suicide because of the darkness she was experiencing
- Praying with her husband for the first time
- Her holistic approach to get back to normal
- The passage of Scripture that helped her
- Understanding God’s love for the first time
- Learning that her identity was shaped by her understanding of God’s character
- Redefining success as faithfulness to the Lord
- Practices that help you navigate anxiety
- Paying attention to your body to avoid anxiety
- Why fear does not equal a lack of faith
Great quotes from Christy:
Surrender is a daily choice.
When fear is operating, love can’t freely flow.
Fear is an indicator not a dictator.
Anxiety will isolate you more if you are not vulnerable about it.
Resources we mentioned:
- Christy’s website
- Nervous Breakthrough: Finding Freedom from Fear and Anxiety in a World the Feeds It by Christy Boulware