Chaplain Colonel Charles Causey is an author, pastor, and chaplain. Today, Charles shares with us his story of resisting the call to ministry, how the Lord’s providence has cared for his family through the years, and why he decided to become a writer. We also discuss his latest book Candor which is all about navigating difficult conversations with love and grace. Charles’s story reminds us that the Lord’s heart for us is always truth but also love.
Listen to Charles’s story now!
Stories Charles shared:
- Growing up in Leavenworth, KS
- Feeling a little inoculated to the faith by college
- Getting involved in Campus Crusade for Christ in a small revival
- Giving his life to Christ at a backpacking camp
- Feeling God’s call to serve him full time
- Switching over to being a chaplain in the Army reserves
- A moment of worship that shaped him
- How his ministry set him up for enjoying seminary
- Making a deal with God to have time with his family
- How getting laid off allowed him to apply for jobs and still get paid
- Planting a church in Minnesota
- Struggling with God while living away from his family
- Deciding to become a writer while deployed during the Surge
- Why he wrote his book Candor
Great quotes from Charles:
Sometimes you feel lost when you’re not around those you love the most.
God has big shoulders.
Write for yourself.
Resources we mentioned:
- Charles’ website
- Candor: The Secret to Succeeding at Tough Conversations by Charles Causey
- The Lion and the Lamb: The True Holocaust Story of a Powerful Nazi Leader and a Dutch Resistance Worker by Charles Causey
- In Danger Every Hour: A Civil War Novel by Charles Causey