Becky Castle Miller is a PhD student in New Testament at Wheaton College with Esau McCaulley, researching emotions in the Gospel of Luke. She did her master’s thesis on emotions and discipleship under Scot McKnight. She writes and speaks on emotional, mental, and spiritual health in the church. She and her husband and their five kids and cat returned to the US in 2020 after living in the Netherlands for eight years, where she served as a discipleship director at an international church. Today, Becky shares about growing up homeschooled, the moment God loved her and the belief she had to let go of, and some practices to try when church gets difficult. Plus, she encourages you to learn and understand your emotions because Jesus cares about them, too.
Listen to Becky’s story in your favorite podcast app now!
Stories Becky shared:
- Moving back to the US during the pandemic
- Studying emotions in the Gospel of Luke
- Tracing the history of teaching on emotions in the American church
- Growing up as a military kid all over
- Being homeschooled using Abeka curriculum
- Forcing herself into the box of American fundamentalist Christianity
- Realizing that she believed God loved her less because she was a woman
- Experiencing an emotional breakdown and what she learned about herself
- Practices for interacting with the Bible
- Talking out her ideas in real time
- Discovering church icons and why they are valuable
Great quotes from Becky:
If we’re suffering under legalism, that’s not an easy yoke.
I had to face the fact that I had believed that God loved me less because I was female.
When Scriptures are used against you, it is hard to read the Bible.
Retraumatizing yourself is really unhealthy.
Resources we mentioned:
- Becky’s Substack
- Becky’s Instagram
- The Blue Parakeet, 2nd Edition: Rethinking How You Read the Bible by Scot McKnight
- A Year of Biblical Womanhood: How a Liberated Woman Found Herself Sitting on Her Roof, Covering Her Head, and Calling Her Husband ‘Master’ by Rachel Held Evans
- Jesus Feminist: An Invitation to Revisit the Bible’s View of Women by Sarah Bessey
- The Wisdom of Your Heart by Marc Alan Schelske
- Truce Podcast by Chris Staron
- Creating Space for God by Jodi Niznik