- Growing up in the cornfields of Ohio and a typical Midwestern family
- Realizing at 12 that he was same sex attracted
- Experiencing sexual abuse from 9-15
- Coming out to his friends and family at 17
- Escaping to Columbus, Ohio to find a gay community
- Enjoying community but feeling empty inside
- Driving an hour to go to church on a Sunday Morning after clubbing the night before
- How the Holy Spirit wooed him
- Joining a discipleship group and learning to walk with God
- Meeting his wife at camp and how they got together
- Losing their second born son during birth
- Experiencing God accepting his anger
- Starting Walls Down Ministry and how he serves as a bridge between the LGBTQ+ community and the church.
Great quotes from Ty:
I don’t think there’s recipe for a gay person.
I came out on Thursday and my parents went to church on Sunday.
Doctrine doesn’t heal people. Community heals people.
I was an openly gay man and a closet Christian.
I did not feel like a prime candidate for the love of God.
If you use any weapon, it has to be kindness.
Resources we mentioned: