- Growing up as a military kid moving all over
- Moving to Austin, TX and experiencing culture shock
- Struggling with depression for the first time
- Beginning to reach out to God for help
- How helping others helped Wes to grow
- How reading the Bible resurfaced his interest in writing
- The discipleship relationship that helped him grow
- Deciding to write his story
- Why he wrote about OCD and depression
- Practices that have helped him deal with OCD
- Breaking the stigma of mental health in the church
Great quotes from Wesley:
If I hadn’t been knocked around a bit, I don’t know if I ever would have turned to the Lord.
I started reading the Bible and that opened my intellectual life again.
You can follow God through it.
Resources we mentioned:
- Anxiety and Depression Are (Not) Always Sins by W.R. Harris
- Obsessions: Hell and Back Again: The True Story of My Battle to Find Hope in the Midst of OCD and Depression by W.R. Harris
- Wesley’s website Persevering Hope
- Wesley’s personal website WRHWriting.com