Billy Berglund is the Middle School Director at my church and has been a tremendous influence on my own children. Today, Billy shares the people, events, and heartbreaks that shaped him. The people who spoke into Billy’s life stand out as he shares the stories of youth pastors, Christian rappers, and doctors willing to tweak his perspective and send him toward Christ. As we speak, Billy’s future is a bit uncertain as he finishes seminary and begins to search for the ministry the Lord will call him to serve. At the same time, God’s faithfulness to him has been displayed over and over again and whatever the future brings for this talented young pastor, it will be bright.
Please listen and share Billy’s story!
Stories Billy shared:
- Growing up in Omaha in an large extended family
- How sports became part of his identity and the injuries that led him to basketball
- The leader that loved him through difficult seasons
- Developing a “functional image of God” of disappointment
- Learning to filter his ambition through John 3:30 at a camp
- Telling God he would do anything but be a public speaker
- Changing majors from physical therapy to Bible and theology
- Receiving an opportunity to mentor high schoolers
- Dating his wife Hannah and their crazy honeymoon
- The moment a doctor healed his perspective
- Moving to Colorado to go to Denver Seminary
Great quotes from Billy:
He is really pressing on me the question “Who are you becoming?”
Do I really trust God? What does that look like?
Resources we mentioned (contains Amazon Affiliate links which pay a small commission to me if you use them):
- The Critical Journey, Stages in the Life of Faith, Second Edition by Janet O. Hagberg and Robert A. Guelich
- With: Reimagining the Way You Relate to God by Skye Jethani
- Laura Flanders Jesus and My Bleeding Heart
- Billy’s sermons at South Fellowship: Heart Check and Stand Alone
- Contact Billy via Facebook or Twitter