Mike Sares is a pastor and author at Denver’s Scum of the Earth church. Today, he shares how he became the founding pastor of Scum, the unique ways God has spoken to him, and why risk and art are so important to the church, even today. This is an episode you won’t want to miss.
Get Mike’s book detailing his story, God’s work in his life, and the challenges of his unique ministry. Pure Scum: The Left-Out, the Right-Brained and the Grace of God
Stories Mike shared:
- How he came to Christ after high school
- The unique way he heard from God to ask his wife to marry him
- The frustrating period of time when he tried to get into full time ministry
- How Scum of the Earth started including the Five Iron Frenzy crowd
- The risky decision to let a poet use the F-bomb during a Christmas Eve service
- Why we have to take risks for evangelism
- Why art is so important for society including the Church
Great quotes from Mike:
God does not give these supernatural experiences capriciously. Usually it’s because we’re going to need one.
It appears unspiritual but really is.
Good Christian art can save a nation.
If you want to hear more about Mike’s story, get his book Pure Scum: The Left-Out, the Right-Brained and the Grace of God (affiliate link).